The Tanjung Tualang Dredge No 5 (TT5), located at Batu 5, Jalan Tanjung Tualang is living proof that this area was once part of a major mining operation taking place within the Kinta Valley.
Large-scale tin-mining began in the late 19th Century up to the 20th Century. International companies were involved in tin prospecting then. The longest operating European mine in the Kinta Valley was the French Société des Etains de Kinta or SEK. It started in 1886 and ceased operations in 1985.
The tin dredge was built in England in 1938 by F.W. Payne & Son. It was transformed from steam (coal-fired) to electric engine in 1963. Weighing 4500 ton, it is supported by a pontoon which measured 75 metres long, 35 metres wide and 3m deep. It has 115 buckets with a capacity of 0.50976 cu metre per bucket and an output of 2247 horsepower.
TT5 was operational for 44 years until 1982. High operating costs and a drop in world tin price put paid to its commercial viability.
In 2015, the state government, through MB Incorporated (MB Inc), took over the management and the restoration of the tin dredge utilising its own funds. The restoration work is a long-term plan to turn TT5 into a fitting monument dedicated to the tin-mining heritage of Perak besides it being a tourism product.
So far about 90 per cent of its restoration has been completed. It will be fully completed by the end of 2017.
For the benefit of visitors a dulang-washing area, a cafe and a souvenir shop will be established within the area. The existing gallery will be upgraded to provide a better perspective of the mining activities in Kinta Valley, once the most productive tin-producing district in the world.
The surrounding area is open to the public for visitation except entrance into TT5. It will only be accessible once the management obtains a safety authentication from the authorities.
An entrance fee of RM2 is chargeable for adults while children (below 12) and senior citizens are free. The facility is open daily between 9am and 6pm except Mondays.
GPS Coordinates: N 4° 23.817’ E 101° 3.189’