Jalan Foo Choong Nyit
The narrow road between Indulgence and ILTI.
Who was Foo Choong Nyit?
Mr. Foo Choong Nyit was born in 1860, in Ying Dong, a town in the Fujian (formerly known as Fuzhou) province of China. He arrived in Penang at the age of 14, and worked in a business shop.
Three years later, in 1877, he moved to Ipoh, worked as an apprentice in tin-mining, for Mr. Foo Choo Choon. In 1890, aged 30, he started his own tin-mining business at Batu Gajah, and held shares in several tin mines at Pusing, Tg. Tualang, Ipoh and Menglembu.
He was also the General Manager of the Foo Brothers Hydraulic Gold Mine, the Fook Ban San and the Fook Ban Foh Tin Mines.
He was a former President of the Perak Chinese Maternity Association, Adviser to the Perak Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Committee Member of the Perak Chinese Protectorate.
He was appointed as the Justice of Peace in 1936. As a well-known philanthropist, in 1937 he donated a 7-acre site at Kampar Road, together with Mr. Foo Nyit Tse and Mr. Chang Chong Siew, for the construction of the new Perak Chinese Maternity Hospital building. He was also one of the founders of the Perak Hakka Association also known as the Perak Khek Community Association. He passed away in 1937.
Did you know?
During that era, there were a couple of well-known and wealthy Foos, especially in the mining industry and many people tend to think that they are all related. The truth is they were not.
Yeun Yin Fong