20g (1 tbsp) shortening
50g icing sugar
2 egg yolks
½ tsp vanilla essence
¼ tsp salt
350g plain flour
50g corn flour
50g milk power
500g grated pineapple
200g castor sugar
Orange juice (from 2 oranges)
2 tsp orange peel
1 tsp salt
1. Cook the grated pineapple with sugar in a heavy base saucepan over moderate heat until it comes to the boil.
2. Add in orange juice & orange peel.
3. Lower the heat to simmer until mixture is almost dry and keep stirring all the time.
4. Leave aside to cool and roll into small elongated piece (about 1 tsp pineapple jam per roll)
5. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
6. Cream butter, shortening, sugar until light. Beat in egg yolks, one at the time. Add essence and salt and beat until fluffy. Add sifted flour mixture and mix till soft dough results.
7. Roll dough into a ¼ inch thick slab. Place pineapple jam roll on one end and roll up pastry, as in Swiss roll, to enclose the jam. Cut off the excess pastry. Cut roll into ¾ inch portions.
8. Put pineapple roll into paper cup, brush with egg glaze and bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Move to wire racks to cool.