By Margarita Lee
10 to 12 large prawns
½ cup potatoes, diced
½ cup carrots, diced
½ cup onion, diced
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
300 ml prawn stock (from the prawn heads)
250 ml milk
2 tbsp cooking oil
½ tbsp crushed peppercorns
Salt and pepper to taste
- Shell and de-vein prawns, keep the prawn heads and shells for stock.
- Heat oil in a pan, add in prawn heads and shells, stir fry until pink and cooked through, pour in 500 ml of water and peppercorns.
Bring to a boil and simmer for 45 minutes. Strain and set aside.
- Boil diced potatoes and carrots until soft, strain and keep aside.
- Heat butter, fry onions lightly.
- Stir in flour. Pour in milk and stock.
- Add in cooked potatoes and carrots.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add prawns. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.