Are the exposed electrical wires at the base of the metal street lamp-posts (see pics) around Ipoh City safe to be touched?
This question is always on my mind whenever I come across them while walking along the busy streets and in some cases close to schools. There are not just one or two, there are a number – some with the covers missing, while others with the wires jutting out as the covers are loosely held.
I get jittery each time I pass such exposed wires ever since I saw three buffaloes electrocuted in Silibin area some years ago. I am also reminded of the case where a 10-year-old boy was electrocuted when he accidentally fell and touched an exposed high-voltage wire on a lamp post at a playground near his house in Shah Alam last year.
My concern is what happens if someone, particularly children, unwittingly touched the wires while walking along the pavements.
Can the relevant authority give an assurance that such exposed wires are safe? If not, such negligence should be quickly looked into before mishaps occur.