By Wern Sze Gill
Pusat Makanan Paloh
(next to Giant hypermarket)
Jalan Bercham Bistari 2, Bercham, 31400 Ipoh.
Offers free wifi with any drink order.
Opens daily, 8am-11pm.
Food courts are a popular lunch and dinner stop for locals and tourists alike. A fairly new and clean one offering a variety of quality local dishes at affordable prices is the big, airy, and not too over-crowded Pusat Makanan Paloh, located just next to the Giant hypermarket in Bercham.
Most dishes are priced between RM4 to RM5, and they are generous in their ingredients and serving sizes.
Some notable dishes include:
- Curry Mee (RM4.50); tasty light broth, not the heavy type of curry.
- Tai Look Mee (RM4.50) – Sufficient ‘wok hei’ (smoky taste) and generous ingredients, served with their very good homemade sambal belacan
- Pan Mee (RM4); offers also the chilli pan mee version at RM4.50
- Nasi Lemak with rendang ayam (RM3.50), or with sambal squid or prawn (RM4, delicious)
- Their ‘Tai Chow’ stall which is well-known for their various claypot meat and seafood dishes, and fish head curry, also serves quality one-dish meals with rice priced from RM4.50.
- Other stalls: Economy rice, Prawn Mee, Wan Ton Mee, Chop rice, Thai food, Western, and Japanese.