Attracting more than eight hundred players, the recently concluded HST Ipoh Badminton Tournament 2013, was a huge success. According to the tournament’s organising chairperson, Dr Lee Boon Chye, Member of Parliament for Gopeng, it was possibly the largest badminton tournament ever held in Ipoh.
“The response was overwhelming, and we have seen quality performances over the past three days, especially in the finals. This is very encouraging to the badminton fraternity in Perak. The organising committee has certainly worked hard, and I would like to express my thanks to them and to the generous sponsors.”
Korean badminton legend, Park Joo Bong, who was the guest-of-honour to kick off the tournament, in conjunction with the opening of the 22-court badminton arena in Ampang, Ipoh, remarked, “I was surprised by the standard of the arena here. It’s even better than those in Kuala Lumpur.”
There were a total of ten categories in HST Ipoh Badminton Tournament 2013. The winners and scores were:
- Men’s Novice Doubles: Supian & Iryadi (18-21, 22-20, 21-11)
- Junior Veteran Doubles: Liew Siew Fatt & Goh Chee Heng (21-19, 21-12)
- Senior Veteran Doubles: Choong Chee Kong & T. Murthy (16-21, 21-11, 21-19)
- Ladies Novice Doubles: Lin Hui Ching & Azniza (21-9, 21-13)
- Mixed Novice Doubles: Lim Wooi Kip & Lim Fooi Choi (21-12, 21-19)
- Boys’ Singles Under 18: Kelvin Ng (21-11, 21-13)
- Boys’ Singles Under 15: Lye Jun Cheng (21-13, 18-21, 21-10)
- Boys’ Singles Under 12: Loo Bing Kun (21-7, 21-13)
- Boys’ Doubles Under 15: Wilson Phua & Goh Ewe Lean (21-18, 17-21, 21-11)
- Boys’ Doubles Under 12: Ling Wei Jie & Loo Bing Kun (21-9, 21-16)
The champions received trophies, cash prizes, and Protech-sponsored badminton racquets and racquet bags. The first runners-up were also awarded prizes.