By Margarita Lee
2 kg chicken – chopped into pieces
3 tbsp. cooking oil
10 pips garlic – pound finely
20 shallots – pound finely
5 Chinese mushrooms – soaked
2 cups potatoes – wedges (boil till soft, keep for later use)
1 cup carrots – wedges (boil till soft, keep for later use)
2 tbsp. fermented soybean paste /Tau Cheong
2 tbsp. light soya sauce
1 tsp. dark soya sauce
1 tbsp. palm sugar/brown sugar
1 cup water
Salt to taste
Parsley for garnishing
- Marinate chicken pieces with light and dark soya sauce.
- Heat oil, sauté onion and garlic paste, add soya bean paste, fry till aromatic.
- Add in marinated chicken and mushroom. Stir well; add in one cup of water.
- Simmer chicken for about 10-15 minutes; add in potatoes and carrot wedges.
- Add in sugar and salt to taste, and continue stewing for 5 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- Garnish with parsley.