By Margarita Lee
- 400g Yellow Noodles
- 1.5kg Beef Shank
- 2 large Onions (sliced thinly)
- 6 Ginger slices
- 1 bulb Garlic
- 4 Tomatoes (cut into wedges)
- 2 tbsp Soya Bean Paste
- 1 tbsp Chili Paste
- 1 cup Soya Sauce
- 4 whole Star Anise
- ½ tbsp Rice Wine
- 3-4 pieces Rock Sugar
- 1 tsp Five Spice Powder
- 6 pcs Cloves
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 3-4 Bay Leaves
- 1 tsp Red Peppercorns
- 3L Water
- 300g Salted Green Mustards – cut thinly
- 3 pieces Red Chilli – cut thinly
- 3 pieces Scallions – cut thinly
- In a large stockpot, cover the beef shanks with water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, immediately drain the water and set the beef aside. (This step helps remove impurities to make a clear soup.)
- Add the parboiled beef, all the ingredients (A) and seasoning (B) in a large pot. Boil on high heat.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce to low heat, and simmer for approximately 2 hours, or until the beef is tender. Turn off the heat. Let meat sit in the broth for another hour.
- Remove the beef to a cutting board. Pour the stock through a basket sieve into another pot. Discard the fat and vegetable solids. Slice the beef and return to the stock. Skim the fat from the surface, and return the soup to boil.
- To serve, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Boil the noodles for 2 minutes. Dish out.
- Divide noodles into bowls. Ladle the beef and hot broth into the bowls. Garnish with cut salted green mustard, chilli, scallions and serve hot.