By Margarita Lee
1 block soft tofu
100g ground beef
4 tbsp corn starch mix with 5 tbsp of water
1 tbsp spring onion (for garnishing)
1 tbsp soya bean paste
1 tbsp minced ginger
½ tbsp minced garlic
½ tbsp minced chillies
2 tsp ground Szechuan pepper
½ tbsp fermented black bean
½ tbsp chilli powder (optional)
1 tbsp chopped spring onion (white part)
1 cup chicken stock / water
Salt and pepper to taste
Oil for cooking
2 tsp soya sauce
1 tsp corn starch
½ tbsp egg white
1 tsp sugar
- In a bowl, marinate the ground beef with soy sauce, corn starch, egg white and sugar for 30 minutes.
- Drain and cut tofu into ½-inch cubes.
- Heat oil in a wok, stir-fry ground beef in high heat until it changes colour. Dish out for later use.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a wok, add in (A) and stir well on high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add in tofu and ingredients (B), bring to boil.
- Add in ground beef, simmer on low heat. Do not stir the tofu, but gently shake the pan.
- Add in corn starch bit by bit until gravy thickens.
- Season with pepper and salt.
- Garnish with spring onion.