The Sathya Sai Baba Centres of Perak Darul Ridzuan organised the 2nd Annual Human Values Public Speaking Competition between students in tertiary institutions in Perak recently. Eight Speakers from 4 tertiary institutions participated in the Finals held at Olympia College Ipoh.
Adjudicated by the Perak Toast Masters Club, the objectives of this annual competition are:
- To enhance goodwill and understanding among youths of different racial and religious backgrounds and compliment the government’s efforts to encourage the use of the English Language in our tertiary institutions.
- To expose the youths, the future leaders of this country, to the knowledge and practice of Universal Human Values, in their daily life, thereby boosting their personal and emotional well-being.
- To help the youths in the development of the soft skills of diplomacy, public speaking and social etiquette which is so vital for effective Parliamentary Debates, International Relations and Domestic harmony.
- To encourage tertiary students understand how the objectives of Malaysia’s Rukun Negara, viz. Unity, Justice, Peace and Progress can be achieved by the practice of Human Values by all levels of Malaysian Society.
The four tertiary institutions that participated this year were:
- SM Anderson Ipoh, Sixth Form
- SM Methodist (ACS) Ipoh, Sixth Form
- Institute Pendidikan Guru Kampus Ipoh, Perak (IPG Kampus Ipoh)
- Universiti Tengku Abdul Rahman Kampus Kampar (UTAR Kampar).
The eight speakers were judged on eight different prepared speech topics and a common impromptu speech topic.
The Overall Winner was:Eugene Wong Chen Wei – IPG Kampus Ipoh with
Overall 1st Runner-up: Eugene Lee Zhe Rui
Overall 2nd Runner-up: Leo Leong Yong Bin – UTAR Kampar
Winner of Sathya Sai Human Values Public Speaking Competition Challenge Trophy 2014: Institute Pendidikan Guru Kampus Ipoh (IPG Kampus Ipoh).