The Sungai Pinang Kecil Jetty in Pangkor Island will be given an upgrade to be the second official jetty, after the Pangkor Jetty.
According to the Menteri Besar of Perak, Dato’ Saarani Mohamad, some RM1.5 million which was approved as a part of the 2021 Budget tabling will be allocated for that purpose.
“This decision followed laments of overcrowding by the locals of Pangkor since it became a duty-free island last year.
“Thus, there is a need for the jetty to be given a makeover in order to temporarily accommodate increased demands from both incoming tourists and locals.”
He told reporters so during a media session outside the Masjid Al-Badr Seribu Selawat, also known as Masjid Terapung (floating mosque), after a work visit to the Sungai Pinang Kecil Jetty today (March 5).
Also in attendance was the state secretary, Dato’ Ahmad Suaidi Abdul Rahim and the Perak state assembly member (ADUN) for Pangkor constituency, Dato’ Seri Dr Zambry Abdul Kadir.
Saarani added that there are many elements to be considered, such as the foundation of the jetty and the possibility of increased jetty usage.
“With that said, upgrading works for the jetty will start by the end of this month, while tender documents are currently being prepared.
“Hopefully, the approved allocation will suffice, as construction costs on the island is 40 percent higher in comparison to other places due to transportation fees,” he stated.