By Anne Das
The Oak is the clubhouse of the Evergreens organisation, which sits under the umbrella of the Church of St. Michael’s Ipoh.
Established in 2002, SMC Evergreens caters to seniors within the community where they meet, interact, and organise many events together tailoring them to the older generation.
The SMC Evergreen Group consists of parishioners aged 50 and above and they invite other Catholic parishioners in Ipoh to also join in the multitude of activities available here. Non-Catholics are also welcome.
More than 100 people including members of the SMC Evergreens turned up for the much awaited “Soft Opening” of THE OAK Clubhouse, situated within the church grounds. The Clubhouse which had been shut since mid-2019 has been given a new lease of life with restoration work completed and a fresh coat of paint.
The blessing ceremony of the Clubhouse was performed by Fr. Anthony Liew, the Parish Priest of St. Michael’s Church followed by a briefing of all the activities that will be available from here on. Everyone enjoyed the hearty brunch catered by well known, ‘Martin Caterers’ and later, a sing and dance session entertained everyone who attended the event.
For those interested to participate and join in, here is the list of the activities available at The Oak Clubhouse: –
- Mandarin classes
- Beginners : Wednesdays (10am to 11.30am)
- Intermediate : Thursdays (10am to 11.30am
- Advanced : Will commence with numbers of interested parties.
- Sing a long Session : Thursdays (11.30am to 12.30pm)
- Centring Prayer Session : Fridays (11.45am to 12.15pm)
- Art Classes : Monday afternoons (commencing in April)
- Folk Dancing and Board Games : Wednesday and Sunday afternoons
- Recitation of the Rosary in Latin : Sunday mornings
- Qi gong sessions : Saturday mornings
- Line Dancing : Wednesday mornings (Peter Pang Hall)