As all of us are at home all of the time, either getting “cabin fever’ pacing up and down, the telly no longer charms, gardening is out of the question as you live in a flat and reading gets tedious, how about getting into the kitchen and whip up some delectables (we hope they will be!!) which are readily available and which most of my dear readers can purchase, even under the current MCO.
Preparing food and cooking is known to be a calming activity, engaging the mind as well as the body. And as cooking for the family is all that is asked for during this stressful period, I will be posting recipes here on a daily basis for you to experiment with during the days ahead.
I cajoled my dear friend Margarita Lee (Ipohite) who currently lives in Sydney and who used to contribute recipes in these pages in the early days of Ipoh Echo, to ferret in her voluminous log of recipes and share some with us. Here is one of her easy recipes:
Tofu with Garlic Butter
by Margarita Lee
- 200gm Medium firm tofu
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Minced garlic
- 2 tbsp Mirin
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 3 tbsp Water
- 3 tbsp Corn flour
- Diced spring onion for garnishing
- 3 tbsp Cooking oil
- Slice tofu diagonally or in rectangles, roughly 5cm in length diagonally and 1cm thick.
- Pat the tofu dry using paper towels.
- Coat the tofu with a thin layer of corn flour.
- Heat oil in a pan over high heat, then gently slide in the tofu pieces and pan fry until both sides appear golden brown.
- Dish out the tofu and remove excess oil from the pan.
- Sauté butter with garlic until fragrant, then add in mirin, soy sauce and water.
- Add in tofu and simmer on medium heat for 1 minute.
- Garnish with diced spring onions and serve.
Get your local news fast. Download the Ipoh Echo App on your mobile. Available on both Google Playstore and Apple Appstore.
Google play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details…
Apple Appstore: https://apps.apple.com/my/app/ipoh-echo/id1498399519