As all of us are at home all of the time, either getting “cabin fever’ pacing up and down, the telly no longer charms, gardening is out of the question as you live in a flat and reading gets tedious, how about getting into the kitchen and whip up some delectables (we hope they will be!!) which are readily available and which most of my dear readers can purchase, even under the current MCO.
Preparing food and cooking is known to be a calming activity, engaging the mind as well as the body. And as cooking for the family is all that is asked for during this stressful period, I will be posting recipes here on a daily basis for you to experiment with during the days ahead.
I cajoled my dear friend Margarita Lee (Ipohite) who currently lives in Sydney and who used to contribute recipes in these pages in the early days of Ipoh Echo, to ferret in her voluminous log of recipes and share some with us. Here is one of her easy recipes:
by Margarita Lee
- 4 Eggplants
- 1 tbsp Minced garlic
- ½ tbsp Minced ginger
- 1 tbsp Spring onion, diced
- 1 tbsp Oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Chinese black vinegar
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Drizzle of Sesame sauce
- ½ tbsp Minced chilli
- 3 tbsp Oil
- Select four long and skinny eggplants.
- Chop the eggplants into halves and steam for 10 minutes on high heat.
- Remove the skin and seeds of the eggplant after steaming and plate.
- Add the minced garlic, ginger, spring onions, chillies, sugar, oyster sauce, soy sauce, and black vinegar into a bowl. Mix well.
- Heat oil in a wok and add the sizzling oil into the mixture. Mix well.
- Drizzle the sauce onto the plated eggplants and add a splash of sesame sauce to taste.
Get your local news fast. Download the Ipoh Echo App on your mobile. Available on both Google Playstore and Apple Appstore.
Google play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details…
Apple Appstore: https://apps.apple.com/my/app/ipoh-echo/id1498399519