By Mei Kuan
Running on the theme “This Decade, Your Decade”, the state-level Youth Day celebration was held recently on August 19 at the Perak Youth and Sports Complex in the presence of guest of honour Khairul Shahril Mohamed, Executive Councillor for Youth, Sports, Communications and Multimedia representing Menteri Besar Dato’ Seri Ahmad Faizal Azumu.
Organised by the Perak Youth and Sports Department in collaboration with the state government, the evening also saw the presentation of state-level Premier Youth Awards which served as the highest honour from the government awarded to the young generation for their contribution towards youth development.
“I’d like to share the story of Norfarrah Syahirah Shaari, a 32-year-old administrative assistant at Teluk Intan Community College who was born without arms. During the pandemic, she volunteered to sew personal protective equipment using her feet to aid the frontliners. Recently, she was awarded the National Youth Award 2020 (Youth COVID-19 Hero Category) which was presented by Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin. Her inspirational story is a shining example that the youth is always ready to serve the nation and its people with commitment and sincerity,” expressed Khairul.
“To support the effort of the federal government, the state government has announced the Perak Economy Stimulus Package Phase 1 and 2 with an allocation of over RM100 million with a main focus of sustaining the SMEs (small and medium-sized enterprises) which in turn retains the existing workforce. It also focuses on reskilling programmes for the employees and youth whose livelihoods are affected or are at risk of losing their jobs. Additionally, we are aiding the entrepreneurs to shift to the digital economy, gig economy and relevant initiatives in line with the new normal practices,” he added.
Present at the ceremony were Jufitri Joha, President of Malaysian Youth Council and Aswannudin Hariffudin, President of Perak Youth Council.
Below is the list of recipients:
- Premier Youth Award Individual Male Category Winner: Mohd Faqrul Redza Tahiruddin
- Premier Youth Award Individual Male Category First Runner-Up: Kishore Kumar Ayyawoo
- Premier Youth Award Individual Female Category Winner: Wan Khatijah Shavouroza
- Premier Youth Award Individual Female Category First Runner-Up: Rozilawati Ramli
- Premier Youth Award Youth Organisation Category Winner: Kuala Kangsar District Youth Council (MBDKK)
- Premier Youth Award Youth Organisation Category Runner-Up: Malaysian Association of Youth Clubs (MAYC)
- Special Youth Awards:
- Hasnul Fairuz Hushin Amri
- Ahmad Shah Mohamad Saleh
- Mohd Amzari Zamri
- Beh Zeng Kang
- Sivabalan Muniandy
- Muhammad Irwani Mohd Amirsirifuddin
- Aliza Pandak
- Norfarrah Syahirah Shaari