Turkey Scotch Broth
By Margarita Lee
- 300g Cooked turkey, diced
- 50g Rolled oats
- 50g Barley
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 3L Turkey stock (saved from the previously roast turkey)
- 50g Chopped coriander
- 1 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 250g Carrots, diced
- 1 Large onion, diced
- 250g Celery, diced
- 200g Water chestnuts (canned or frozen)
- Wash and soak barley for 2 hours.
- Place the saved turkey carcass into a large soup pot or stock pot and pour in 4L of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook the turkey carcass until the remaining meat falls off the bones. This should take about 2 hours .
- Strain the broth through a fine mesh strainer into a clean soup pot. Skim the grease using a ladle or big spoon.
- Heat oil in a large stock pan. Stir in minced garlic and diced onion and sauté over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients B to sauté with onion and garlic for another 3-4 minutes.
- Pour in the turkey broth and soaked barley, then bring to a boil and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until the barley is soft.
- Add in the turkey meat and rolled oats. Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with fresh chopped coriander before serving.
Check out more of Margarita’s recipes on her FB @ Umummy Food
Get your local news fast. Download the Ipoh Echo App on your mobile. Available on both Google Playstore and Apple Appstore.