Spicy and Sour Mustard Greens Soup
By Margarita Lee
- Leftover meat (roast pork, roast duck, chicken feet or turkey)
- 2kg Chinese mustard greens (Gai Choy)
- 350g Pickled mustard greens
- 6-8 Dried mushrooms (softened)
- 4 Tomatoes
- 5 stalks Lemongrass
- 20 Dried chillies
- 10-15 pcs Assam gelugor (tamarind slices)
- 1 tbsp Oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp Tomato paste
- 20g Toasted belacan (prawn paste)
- Salt to taste
- Wash the mustard green leaves and remove the roots. Blanch in hot water and drain.
- Cut tomatoes into wedges.
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Add in dried chillies, lemongrass, belacan and assam gelugor, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in the tomatoes, all the meat and mushroom. Cover the pot with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the cover, then add the blanched Chinese mustard greens and pickled mustard greens and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Season with a little salt to taste. Add in oyster sauce and tomato paste. Cover and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
Chai Buey or Choy kiok, which means leftovers, is a dish that is quite popular among the Chinese.
Check out more of Margarita’s recipes on her FB @ Umummy Food