Baked Tapioca Cake (Kuih Bingka Ubi Kayu)
By Margarita Lee
- 900g Grated tapioca/cassava
- 210g Sugar
- 80g Grated coconut
- 2 eggs + 1 yolk, lightly beaten
- 500ml Thick coconut milk
- Drops of yellow food colouring (optional)
- 1 tbsp Tapioca flour
- 40g Melted unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 Pandan leaves (knotted)
- Line and grease an 8×8 inch (20x20cm) baking pan with parchment paper or banana leaves.
- Preheat the oven to 180℃.
- Using a muslin/cheesecloth, squeeze out juices from the grated tapioca into a bowl.
- Allow the bowl of starchy juice to settle for 30 minutes. Carefully remove and discard the yellowish liquid on top, leaving behind a layer of tapioca starch at the bottom.
- Combine coconut milk, sugar, salt and pandan leaves in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat. Stir to dissolve sugar, then turn off the heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine grated tapioca, tapioca flour, starch, eggs, melted butter and grated coconut.
- Pour in the prepared coconut milk mixture. Mix thoroughly.
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour or until the top is golden brown.
- Remove pan and allow cake to cool completely before slicing and serving.
Check out more of Margarita’s recipes on her FB @ Umummy Food