In preparation for Hari Raya, Ipoh Echo is pleased to present a series of recipes to make your festivities more enjoyable.
*This recipe is translated and reposted with permission from OResepi on Facebook.
- 1kg Beef
- 10 cloves Shallot (ground finely)
- 5 cloves Garlic (ground finely)
- 3cm Lengkuas or Galangal (ground finely)
- 3cm Ginger (ground finely)
- 5 stalks of lemongrass (ground finely)
- 5 tsp chilli paste (ground finely)
- A pinch of turmeric (ground finely)
- 2 pcs turmeric leaves (sliced thinly)
- 1 tsp coriander (roasted and ground finely)
- 1 tsp aniseed (roasted and ground finely)
- 1 tsp cumin (roasted and ground finely)
- 1kg thickened coconut milk
- 50g Gula melaka
- 3 tsp Kerisik (toasted grated coconut)
- 15ml Tamarind juice
- Salt to taste
- 2 sticks of cinnamon
- 4 pcs star anise
- 5 pcs clove
- 6 pcs cardamom
- Mix and coat the beef with ground coriander, aniseed and cumin. Marinate overnight.
- Cook the marinated meat in a wok over low heat with a little water until tender. Remove and set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok, then stir-fry the rest of the ground ingredients with cinnamon, star anise, cloves and cardamoms. Continue until fragrant or until the oil separates.
- Add in the cooked beef and mix thoroughly. Then add in coconut milk and kerisik and stir continuously over low heat.
- Add in tamarind juice, gula melaka and turmeric, then stir until the gravy has thickened. Only add salt to taste once it has.
- Plate and serve.