Man Arrested for Rampaging in Gopeng

A man was arrested for having gone berserk in front of the Gopeng Police Station earlier today (September 8).

According to the state police chief Datuk Mior Faridalathrash Wahid, the suspect, aged 61, was found to be under the influence of drugs.

“At around 8am today, the suspect went into the premises of the station on a motorcycle having brought a parang and sickle with him.

“He was then seen brandishing the dangerous weapons in front of the station’s information office entrance. An officer in charge attempted to calm the suspect down.

“However, he left the station’s grounds and went towards the main road, despite being blocked by other police personnel.

“The suspect then climbed on top of a patrol car parked in the middle of the road to prevent public witnesses from passing through the stretch involved. He continued to wave the parang and sickle to prevent police staff from approaching him.

“Around half an hour later, a squad from the Gopeng Fire and Rescue Station arrived at the scene and aided the police by spraying jets of water at the suspect, at which he fell onto the road.

“Shortly after his arrest, he was tested positive for methamphetamine and heroin drugs. He was also found to have 16 prior counts of drug-related offences.”

He explained in a statement released just recently.

“Based on more preliminary information, the suspect had earlier gone on a rampage at a nearby market in Lawan Kuda.

“The motorcycle belonged to a member of the public there, which the suspect had stolen before passing by a residential area in Kopisan while heading towards the police station.

“Apart from the parang and sickle, also seized were the motorcycle and four keys.

“An investigation was opened under Section 427 of the Penal Code, Section 90 of the Police Act 1967, Section 6(1) of the Corrosive and Explosive Substances and Offensive Weapons Act 1958, as well as Section 15(1)(a) of the Dangerous Drugs Act 1952.

“A remand order will be issued on the suspect tomorrow. No police personnel were harmed during the incident,” Mior explained via WhatsApp.


Chris Teh


Get your local news fast. Download the Ipoh Echo App on your mobile. Available on both Google Playstore and Apple Appstore.

Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button