100gm pork fat diced
1 tbsp Vodka or Chinese White Wine ( 50% alcohol proof )
Method for candied pork fat (冰肉)
- Slice the pork fat into small dice.
- Blanch the pork fat in a pan of boiling water, rinse and sieve.
- Place the pork fat in a container with lid. Add sugar and vodka, stir well to mix. Cover and refrigerate for 7 to 10 days.
Ingredients B ( Dough)
300 gm plain flour
1/2 tsp 5 spice powder
1/2 tsp white pepper
1 tsp alkaline water / lye water
6 Tbsp peanut oil ( 85ml )
Method for preparing the dough:
- Sift flour, 5 spice powder and white pepper together.
- In a large bowl, combine the peanut oil and maltose, then add the alkaline water.
- Add the sifted flour gradually to form a smooth dough. Lightly knead the dough by hand, do not over mix it. Cover and allow to stand for 30 minutes.
Ingredients C ( Filling)
100g candied pork fat (冰肉)
100g candied winter melon ( diced finely )
100g toasted glutinous rice flour ( toast in the oven @ 140c for 20 minutes)
60 g sesame seeds ( toasted)
60g melon seeds ( toasted )
30 g Nam Yue (fermented beancurd)
2 Tbsp Nam Yue water
1 Tbsp Chinese White Wine
50g caster sugar
1/2 tsp five spice powder
1/2 tsp white pepper
2 Tbsp chopped garlic
3 Tbsp oil
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tbsp sesame oil
1 egg lightly beaten for glazing
Method for the filling:
- Roast glutinous rice flour, sesame seed and melon seed separately at 150c for 10-15 minutes. Leave it to cool.
- Sauté the garlic with oil until aromatic. Keep for later use.
- In a large bowl, combine the prepared candied pork fat, candied winter melon, toasted melon seeds, toasted sesame seeds, fried garlic and oil. Stir well before adding the remaining ingredient C.
- Knead the filling by hand lightly until well combined. Divide the filling into 30 portions and shape it into a ball. Store in refrigeration for later use.
- Divide the dough into 30 equal portions.
- Flatten the dough into a round disc
- Place the filling in the centre of the dough, push the sides to the middle and seal. Shape into a ball.
- Lightly flatten with a rolling pin to the desired thickness.
- Place the cookies on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Apply egg wash to cookies.
- Bake in an oven preheated at 180ºC for 15-20 minutes.
- Let cool in pan and then transfer them onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, keep in an airtight container.
Originally the cookies were called Siu Fung Bang, or “Little Pheonix Cookies”.
All toasted ingredients in the filling should be cool before adding.
by Margarita Lee