By Balqis Jazimah Zahari
Photo: Fb Zambry
KUALA LUMPUR: All 30 Malaysians who were trapped in the area of the armed conflict between the Sudanese Armed Forces and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) in Sudan were successfully brought out of the area.
Foreign Minister, Datuk Seri Dr Zambry Abd Kadir said, all of them arrived safely at the King Faisal Naval Base in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia last Wednesday.
“All thirty Malaysians, a delegation led by H.E. Mohamad Razdan Jamil, Malaysian Ambassador to Sudan, safely arrived at King Faisal Naval Base in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia at 8.54pm (Saudi Arabia’s time), on Wednesday.
“The group was received by H.E. Datuk Wan Zaidi Wan Abdullah, Malaysian Ambassador to Saudi Arabia and other officials from Malaysia and Saudi Arabia,” he said.
Zambry said, all thirty Malaysians, including twenty-two foreigners in a Malaysian convoy were successfully evacuated from Khartoum to Jeddah, through the Sudan Port by the Saudi Arabian Navy ship H.M.S Abha.
“All of them are in good health, safe and sound. They are expected to depart home via Saudia flight SV834 on 28 April (today) and is scheduled to arrive at 3.55pm.
“I am truly humbled by the concerns expressed by His Majesty Yang di-Pertuan Agong on the safety of our Malaysians in Sudan.
“Wisma Putra is pleased to devote full time and energy to ensure that the operation to bring Malaysians back from Sudan runs smoothly and safely,” he said.
He said that the operation, despite its complexity, the evacuation was a success. Through it all there was a direct and continuous involvement by the Prime Minister.
“On behalf of the Government of Malaysia, I would like to express my deepest appreciation and gratitude to the Government of Saudi Arabia, as well as Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Sudan for the assistance rendered throughout this operation.
“This indicates close relations which allows this operation to be undertaken. My deepest appreciation also goes to all parties involved in ensuring the success of this evacuation, ” said Zambry.
Earlier, the media reported that the situation in Sudan, especially in most locations in Khartoum, is worsening following the fighting between the Sudanese Army (SAF) and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) that began on April 15.
The media previously also reported that more than 400 people have been reported killed and more than 3,500 injured since the armed conflict between the Sudanese Armed Forces and the RSF.