CommunityNEWS

Sugu Case Yet to be Settled 

Session Court President Mohd Fauzi Mohd Ismail set September 17 to re-mention the case of Youtube cooking sensation, S.Pavithra who was assaulted by her husband, M.Sugu in July.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Naidatul Athirah Azman explained to The Sessions Court that no instructions had been given to proceed with the withdrawal of the case against M.Sugu, 29.

“The official letter to withdraw the case has been submitted on September 4. 

“However, I have yet to receive further instructions from the State Prosecution Director’s Office to proceed with the withdrawal,” said Naidatul.

Attorney Jude Pereira who represented Sugu explained that Pavithra, 28 had lodged a police report but had later written an official letter to the prosecution to withdraw the case.

Sugu was charged with causing injuries to Pavithra’s lips, right arm and left cheek with a mobile phone and a sickle at the parking lot of Raja Permaisuri Bainun Hospital (HRPB) between 4pm to 5pm on July 21.

According to Section 324 of the Penal Code and read together with Section 326A, the charge carries a penalty of 10 years imprisonment or fine or whipping or any two of such punishments, if found guilty.

Meanwhile, the court has set the same date for the mention of the case of possession of a dangerous weapon, a 66cm sickle at the HRPB parking lot at 6pm on July 21. 

Defence lawyer Muhamad Syahrul Nizam Mohd. Rabi told the court that he has just been appointed. Thus, he requested that all related documents must be examined.

Sugu was charged with the possession of an offensive weapon under Section 6 (1) of the Corrosive and Explosive Substances and Offensive Weapons Act 1958, which is punishable for up to 10 years imprisonment and whipping, if found guilty. 

 

Rosli Mansor

Tags
Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close