A worker for a hand gloves production factory in Bercham was found dead due to negligence of work safety at around 4pm yesterday. The worker, who was of Burmese descent, was an operator for the company’s production line.
According to Ir. Zamzurin Maarof, director of the Department of Occupational Safety and Health (JKKP) Perak, in a media statement released via Facebook today (November 23), preliminary investigations found that the worker had been washing excess mix in the gloves mould.
“The victim then went under the transfer line machine, where his head got stuck between the machine and chargement line machine of the automated production line system.
“This caused serious damages to the victim’s head that led to his immediate demise,” he explained.
Following the incident, a team of investigative officers from JKKP Perak sent to the location issued a disturbance prevention notice of the production line to the said factory until further investigations and improvement works are done by employers.
A prohibition notice was also issued for failure in providing a secure working system for the production line.
“JKKP views any incidents involving safety of employees and the public seriously.
“Stern action will be taken against those responsible for negligence of the Occupational Safety and Health Act 1994.
“Employers are responsible in the identification and analysis of any possible dangers in a workplace, and thus, devising an effective risk control plan before employees commence with their work responsibilities,” Zamzurin stressed.
“Incidents like this could have been prevented if employers implemented guidelines based on the Hazard Identification, Risk Assessment and Risk Control (HIRARC) procedure,” he expressed.