Here’s a recipe for our readers who would like to have a go at cooking a delicious classic Chinese dish.
Braised Pork Knuckle
By Margarita Lee
- 1 Pork knuckle
- 4 slices Ginger
- 1 bunch Spring onions (cut into sections)
- 4 Shallots (sliced)
- 4 Coriander roots
- 1 bulb Garlic (lightly crushed)
- Cooking oil for deep frying
- 1 tbsp Corn flour (mix with 1 tbsp water)
- 2 tbsp Dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 30g Rock sugar
- 3 pieces Star anise
- 2 pieces Cinnamon stick
- 2 tsp Pepper corn (lightly crushed)
- Salt to taste
- 600ml water
- Clean and remove hair from the pork knuckle, then simmer it in a pot of boiling water for 5 minutes. After removing from the pot, wash the pork knuckle under cold water, drain and pat dry with a paper towel.
- In a wok or large saucepan, heat oil to 180°C. Deep-fry the pork knuckle for 3 minutes on each side until lightly browned. Remove and drain.
- Dish out excess oil from the wok, leaving about 2 tablespoons. Sauté the garlic, ginger and coriander roots until aromatic.
- Add in all Ingredients B and the prepared knuckle. Bring to a boil with high heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer the knuckle for 2 hours or until it becomes soft.
- Thicken sauce with the corn flour mixture. Add salt to taste.
- Garnish the knuckle with bok choy or broccoli to serve.
Check out more of Margarita’s recipes on her FB @ Umummy Food