Homemade Curry Powder
By Margarita Lee
- 80g Dried kashmiri chillies or dried spur chillies
- 250g Coriander seeds
- 50g Cumin seeds
- 30g Fennel seeds
- 10g Cinnamon stick
- 5 Whole cloves
- 30g White peppercorns
- 1 Nutmeg
- 5 Green cardamoms
- 5 Star anise
- 50g Dehydrated ginger root
- 50g Dehydrated turmeric root
- Preheat the oven to 120℃.
- Remove all impurities from the spices. For example, ensure that stones and debris are removed and that the chillies are free from mould.
- Put all the spices in a strainer and wash them under cold water. Drain and set aside.
- Pat dry the spices with a kitchen towel to remove as much water as possible.
- Spread the spices on a baking tray in a single layer. Roast for 2 hours or until very dry and aromatic.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Grind all the spices in batches using a coffee grinder.
- Store in an airtight container. Use within 6 to 8 months.
You can also toast the spices in a skillet over low heat. Dry toast until dry and aromatic. Be careful not to burn the spices, keep stirring to avoid burning.
Check out more of Margarita’s recipes on her FB @ Umummy Food