Homemade Five Spices Powder( 五香粉）
By Margarita Lee
- 35g Star anise
- 25g Sichuan peppercorns / White peppercorns
- 30g Fennel seeds
- 6g Cinnamon
- 4g Cloves
- Wash ingredients and pat dry.
- Roast all ingredients in a dry pan for 8 to 10 minutes over low heat until fragrant.
- Put all the roasted spices in a coffee grinder and mill until fine.
- Store in an airtight container. Use within 6 to 8 months.
You can substitute the Sichuan peppercorns with white peppercorns or use a mixture of Sichuan pepper and white peppercorns.
Make sure you do not burn the spices. Stir often to prevent them from burning.
Check out more of Margarita’s recipes on her FB @ Umummy Food