A total of 1,159 Orang Asli in Batang Padang district have been infected with COVID-19 and 12 deaths have been reported so far.
The statement issued by the Perak State Health Department yesterday (August 13) following a statement on the website on August 12 reported that a total of 784 Orang Asli in Batang Padang have tested positive for COVID-19. There were also eight deaths.
Perak State Health Director, Dato’ Dr Ding Lay Ming said the source of the infection began from a cluster of factory workers who had then spread the virus to their respective communities.
“Infection control measures were carried out through isolation and treatment at the COVID-19 Low Risk Quarantine Center in Sungkai specifically for COVID-19 patients among Orang Asli. 24 villages have been placed under Enhanced Movement Control Order (EMCO).
“In line with the National COVID-19 Immunisation Programme (PICK), 10,221 Orang Asli in Perak (45.5% percent) have received their first dose as of August 13.
“The target of 80 percent of Orang Asli adults in the rural areas of Perak to receive at least the first dose of vaccine is expected to be achieved by the end of this month,” he said.
Get your local news fast. Download the Ipoh Echo App on your mobile. Available on both Google Playstore and Apple Appstore.