NEWSPerakTOURISM

Opening of Pangkor Island to Visitors Postponed

The Perak state government’s proposal to open Pangkor Island to visitors had to be postponed as it has yet to complete the COVID-19-Free Destination programme under Phase 2 of the Tourism Recovery Plan.

Executive Councillor for Housing, Local Government and Tourism, Dato’ Nolee Ashilin Mohammed Radzi said the matter was decided in the committee meeting with Menteri Besar Dato’ Saarani Mohamad yesterday (September 7).

According to her, the vaccination process for the people on the island is currently running smoothly and has almost reached 100 percent.

“However, Pangkor Island has yet to achieve herd immunity.

“At the latest, we expect this to be achieved by the end of September,” she said at the Ipoh Music Symposium 2021 press conference held online earlier today (September 8).

Previously, the Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture announced that Pangkor Island was selected as a COVID-19-free destination for the second phase of the National Recovery Plan with the expectation that the community on the island will achieve herd immunity early next month.

To achieve that goal, at least 8,026 residents are eligible to receive the vaccine, out of the total projected population of 11,500 on the resort island.

In the meantime, Nolee Ashilin said the state government welcomes anyone from the arts and creative industry who would like to hold performances following the easing of restrictions announced by the government yesterday.

She said, no obstacles are imposed for that purpose but it must be implemented in compliance with the SOPs set by the National Security Council (MKN).

“We do not impose any additional conditions or tighten SOPs, we just have to follow what the government decides.

“So if there are any entertainers who want to perform in Perak, they are very welcomed,” she said.

 

Rosli Mansor

Tags
Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close