Six contributors received the Occupational Insurance System (OIS) interim aid payments from Social Security Organisation (SOCSO). They were the first to receive such aid in Perak.
Director of Socso Perak, Noorhanita Mohamad, said that the payments were from the RM135 million allocation by the government in support of the programme and job placement under OIS in the country.
Applications from the six workers were submitted by their employers whose companies had ceased operations since December 2017.
“The six lost their jobs early this month. Under this new SOSCO programme, those retrenched are eligible to receive RM600 as interim aid payment per month for a period of three months,” said Noorhanita to reporters after a handing-over ceremony held at PERKESO Ipoh on Sunday, January 25.
The event was officiated by the Executive Councillor for Health, Public Transport, Non-Islamic Affairs, National Integration and New Villages, Dato’ Dr Mah Hang Soon.
Mah handed the cheques to the six recipients after his opening remarks.
According to Noorhanita the OIS was initiated in early January 2018. Interim payment is provided by the state government through its allocation while waiting for the funds to mature in January 2019.
“Those wishing to apply need to get a copy of their job termination letter and hand it over to any of the six SOSCO branch offices in the state. Applicants, if eligible, will receive their payments within two weeks,” she added.
The amount of interest paid to SOSCO Perak last year increased by 9.39 percent amounting to RM49.9 million compared to RM45.6 million the previous year.
“Most accidents, we discovered, happened in the morning when people are on their way to work and in the evening when they return home,” she said.