As all of us are at home all of the time, either getting “cabin fever’ pacing up and down, the telly no longer charms, gardening is out of the question as you live in a flat and reading gets tedious, how about getting into the kitchen and whip up some delectables (we hope they will be!!) which are readily available and which most of my dear readers can purchase, even under the current MCO.
Preparing food and cooking is known to be a calming activity, engaging the mind as well as the body. And as cooking for the family is all that is asked for during this stressful period, I will be posting recipes here on a daily basis for you to experiment with during the days ahead.
I cajoled my dear friend Margarita Lee (Ipohite) who currently lives in Sydney and who used to contribute recipes in these pages in the early days of Ipoh Echo, to ferret in her voluminous log of recipes and share some with us. Here is one of her easy recipes:
Roasted Tomatoes Soup
by Margarita Lee
- 1kg Tomatoes
- 1 Big onion
- 1 Bulb garlic
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 1/2 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp Chicken stock
- 1/2 Black ground pepper
- 500ml Water or broth
- 5 tbsp Cream
- Preheat oven to 170℃. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Cut tomatoes and onion into quarters and peel the garlic.
- Place the tomatoes, onion and garlic on a baking tray and drizzle generously with olive oil. Roast at 170℃ for 45 minutes.
- Remove tomatoes, onion and garlic after roasting and allow them to cool for 5-10 minutes. Then, place them in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Pour the blended ingredients into a pot. Add in half a tablespoon of powdered chicken stock, sugar, paprika, and a sprig of rosemary. Simmer for 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a dollop of cream and crusty bread. Enjoy!
If chicken broth is used instead of water, powdered chicken stock can be omitted.
Get your local news fast. Download the Ipoh Echo App on your mobile. Available on both Google Playstore and Apple Appstore.
Google play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details…
Apple Appstore: https://apps.apple.com/my/app/ipoh-echo/id1498399519