Although it’s no more MCO and many of us are more or less back to our previous routines, we are still highly encouraged to stay home when we can. Here’s another recipe for the home cooks who would like to try their hands on something new!
by Margarita Lee
- 1 Big round eggplant
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ cup Cooking oil
- 3 tbsp Japanese soy sauce
- 3 tbsp Mirin
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Mix ingredients B in a bowl. Set aside.
- Trim the stem off and remove the skin of the eggplant.
- Soak eggplant in salted water to minimise browning.
- Bring water to a boil and steam the eggplant for 5 minutes.
- Cut the eggplant in half lengthwise with a sharp knife, then cut multiple slits into it to increase its surface area.
- Pat the eggplant with a kitchen paper towel to remove excess water.
- Coat both sides of the eggplant with cornstarch.
- Heat oil in a pan, then fry both sides of the eggplant until golden brown. Dish out and keep aside.
- Remove excess oil from the pan, pour in Ingredients B and simmer under low heat for about 30 seconds.
- Add in eggplant and simmer until sauce thickens. Garnish with sesame seeds. Serve.