Here’s a new recipe from Margarita to try at home, another perfect snack to satisfy those cravings.
Chaozhou Sugar Coated Yam Sticks (潮洲反沙芋头)
By Margarita Lee
- 350g Yam
- 3 Shallots (sliced thinly)
- 130g Granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp Corn flour
- 1 tbsp Chopped coriander
- 150ml Cooking oil
- Skin the yam and cut into finger-sized pieces (1cm x 8cm).
- Lightly coat the yam with corn flour .
- Heat oil in a pan, then deep fry shallots until golden brown. Dish out and set aside.
- In the same pot of oil, fry yam sticks on medium heat for about 8 minutes or until cooked. Drain and set aside.
- In a separate pan, combine the sugar and water; bring to a boil. Boil until the bubbles decrease in size and the syrup has thickened. Add the fried yam and coat as evenly as possible. After 30 seconds, turn off the heat and continue coating for another minute. The yam sticks are ready when they crystallise in open air upon removing them from the pan.
- Garnish with fried shallots and chopped coriander.
Check out more of Margarita’s recipes on her FB @ Umummy Food