Lamb Shank Curry
By Margarita Lee
- 4 Lamb shanks
- 400ml Coconut milk
- 600ml Chicken broth / water
- 2 Star anise
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 4 stalks Lemongrass (bruised lightly)
- 6 sprigs Curry leaves
- 4 Large tomatoes (sliced thinly)
- 4 Cardamom pods (split)
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- 600g Onion
- 100g Garlic
- 100g Ginger
- 15 Dried chillies (cleaned and softened)
- 6 Candle nuts
- 100g Curry powder for meat
- 5g Turmeric powder
- Red chilli
- Clean and pat dry lamb shanks.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a large pan over high heat. Add 2 lamb shanks and pan fry both sides for 5 minutes or until browned, then transfer to a deep roasting pan. Repeat with remaining shanks.
- Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Blend ingredients C into a paste. Mix in curry powder and turmeric powder.
- Heat oil in a pan, then sauté blended ingredients, add in curry leaves, turmeric powder, cardamom, star anise, cinnamon stick and lemongrass until aromatic.
- Add in tomato slices, keep stirring for 2-3 minutes. Add coconut milk and broth and bring to a boil. Simmer the mixture for 10 minutes.
- Pour the curry mixture over the lamb shanks, then cover the roasting pan with foil. Bake for 2 hours.
- Remove foil, bake for a further 30 minutes to an hour, turning occasionally until the lamb is tender. Season with salt to taste. Set aside to cool.
- Transfer lamb to a plate. Carefully skim excess fat off the surface of the curry sauce.
- Serve lamb with the curry sauce over biryani rice or white rice. Garnish with chilli and coriander.
Check out more of Margarita’s recipes on her FB @ Umummy Food