Watermelon and Strawberry Cake
By Margarita Lee
- 4 Egg whites
- 100g Icing sugar
- 100g Ground almond
- 100g Sugar
- Preheat oven at 180°C.
- Trace the outline of the cake mould on some parchment paper with a pen.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy. Add in sugar gradually and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix ground almond and icing sugar together.
- Fold the almond and icing sugar into the egg white mixture.
- Load mixture into a piping bag and pipe the mixture within the outline. Fill out the outline.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Slices of about 1.5 cm thick
- 4 tbsp Rose water
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- Arrange the watermelon slices in a single layer on a wire rack. Sprinkle with rose water, and then sugar.
- Let them macerate for 30 minutes, then pat dry with paper towels.
- 250ml Mascarpone cheese
- 150ml Whipping cream
- 30g Caster sugar
- 2 tbsp Rose water
- 1 tsp (5g) Gelatine
- 1 tbsp Water
- Mix gelatine with water and allow it to bloom for a few minutes.
- Whisk mascarpone cheese with rose water with an electric mixer and set aside.
- Mix cream with sugar and whip until firm peaks form.
- Combine the mascarpone cheese and cream together.
- Heat the bloomed gelatine for 10 seconds in the microwave.
- Incorporate the gelatine mix into the cream mixture (do not over-mix).
- Starting with the dacquoise layer, use a piping bag to add a layer of rose-scented cream.
- Add the watermelon slice.
- Add another layer of rose scented cream.
- Pipe another layer of dacquoise on top of the cream.
- Arrange strawberries on top of the last layer of cream.
- To decorate, sprinkle the dried rose petals and slivered pistachios.
- Refrigerate the cake and set for at least 3 hours.
Note: This recipe is suitable for a 6 inch cake tin.
Check out more of Margarita’s recipes on her FB @ Umummy Food