The construction of barriers for the safety of visitors at the area of Kinta Riverwalk will be fully completed in July.
Mayor, Datuk Rumaizi Baharin said his party is focusing on the lighting aspect and appointing a contractor for the installation of barriers at the area.
This is following the incident of a child who fell into the river at the amusement park at Kinta Riverwalk recently.
“As a start, we have approved the allocation of RM200,000 to increase lighting.
“I hope we can appoint a contractor soon as the engineering division of the Ipoh City Council (MBI) is preparing the quotation paperworks for the appointment.
He said so to the media after launching the Ipoh Car Free Nite @ Car Free Day for the month of May on Saturday.
According to Rumaizi, the commercial activities at the area are still operating as usual. However, programmes related to the amusement park are stopped temporarily.
He stated that the recent incident is a learning experience and lesson.
“To me, we cannot give up. We will improve to be better in the future.
Previously, the MBI issued a temporary closure order for the game operations at the
amusement park of Kinta Riverwalk in order to conduct investigation following an incident of a child who fell into the river.
The child was saved by the quick action of the parents aided by members of the public.
Rumaizi explained that the MBI appointed a company to operate game activities for children at Kinta Riverwalk beginning January 1 this year following set safety guidelines for operations.