Dr Lee Mun Toong Consultant
Topography-guided LASIK is the latest LASIK technology since 2016 and the most advanced form of customized LASIK technology.
The U.S. FDA has approved this technology in 2013 and it became commercially available in November 2015. The technology has been available outside the United States like Malaysia for several years before 2015.
At Our centre, we use Carl Zeiss Topography-guided laser for patient approach to relieve near-sightedness, astigmatism and presbyopia. Our topography-guided LASIK combines Visumax, Femto-laser to create an appropriate treatment plan for our patients.
The Topography-Guided LASIK Advantage
As compared to wavefront-LASIK technology, topography-guided LASIK has more-detailed measurements of the surface of the cornea (Topograhic) to repair refractive error caused by corneal irregularities. Due to its precision and accuracy, patients who are treated for topography-guided LASIK, receive vision correction that is much more precise, and mapped to each person’s cornea surface.
A 12-month FDA (topography-guided refractive surgery) clinical trial revealed the following:
- More than 98% of patients would recommend it to others.
- It outperformed glasses and contact lenses in over 30% of eyes in the study.
- 6% of eyes that received topography-guided LASIK treatment achieved 20/20 vision or better, 64.8% experienced 20/16 (better than 20/20) vision or better, and 34.4% could see 20/12.5 (better than 20/16)or a year after surgery.
- It reduced the occurrence of common post-LASIK complications such as light sensitivity, glare, difficulty driving at night, and struggles with reading.
The FDA recommends topography-guided LASIK if:
- You have less than minus eight diopters of nearsightedness .
- You do not have severe astigmatism (minus three diopters or less).
- The amount of nearsightedness with or without astigmatism in your eye did not change by more than 0.5 diopters during the year before your preoperative examination.
- You are at least 18 years old
- You have a stable vision correction prescription
- You do not suffer from excessively dry eyes