As all of us are at home all of the time, either getting “cabin fever’ pacing up and down, the telly no longer charms, gardening is out of the question as you live in a flat and reading gets tedious, how about getting into the kitchen and whip up some delectables (we hope they will be!!) which are readily available and which most of my dear readers can purchase, even under the current MCO.
Preparing food and cooking is known to be a calming activity, engaging the mind as well as the body. And as cooking for the family is all that is asked for during this stressful period, I will be posting recipes here on a daily basis for you to experiment with during the days ahead.
I cajoled my dear friend Margarita Lee (Ipohite) who currently lives in Sydney and who used to contribute recipes in these pages in the early days of Ipoh Echo, to ferret in her voluminous log of recipes and share some with us. Here is one of her easy recipes:
Steamed Squid With Lemon
by Margarita Lee
- 4 medium sized Squid
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1/3 cup Fresh lemon juice
- 4 tbsp Garlic, chopped finely
- 3-4 Small chillies
- 2 tbsp Gula Melaka, dissolved in 1 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp Fish sauce
- 1/4 cup cut Coriander leaves
- Lemon slice
- Tomatoes slice
- Clean and marinate squid with lemon juice.
- Boil water in a pot, steam squid for 6 minutes.
- Combine Ingredients B in a bowl, mix well into a sauce.
- Once the squid is steamed, arrange on a plate, then pour the prepared sauce over the squid.
- Garnish with some fresh lemon.
Squid can be substituted with fish.