Taiwanese Golden Kimchi （黃金泡菜）
1 kg Chinese cabbage/ Napa cabbage
1 carrots (cut into slices)
4 Tbsp kosher salt
1 bulb garlic (80g)
50ml sesame oil
180 ml white vinegar
4 cubes of white fermented bean curd （白腐乳）
1 Tbsp salt or to taste
- Prune the discoloured outer leaves of Chinese cabbage.
- Cut the cabbage lengthwise into quarters and remove the cores. Chop it up into bite sized pieces.
- In a large bowl, sprinkle the sliced cabbage with salt, toss well and let rest for 1 hour or until the cabbage softens.
- Rinse the cabbage in cold water several times to cleanse well.
- Remove all the cabbage and place in a colander or salad spinner. Drain cabbage well, then set aside.
- Add the ingredients B to a blender and mix into a smooth paste.
- Pour the paste on the cabbage and sliced carrot and mix well. Store in an airtight container in the fridge and allow it to marinate for a minimum of 6 hours before enjoying it.
- Store in the refrigerator and consume within 10 days.
by Margarita Lee