By Margarita Lee
1 chicken (1.5kg), chopped into chunks
2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp salt
Ingredients B (to be blended):
5 cloves garlic
5 or more bird’s eye chillies
1 lemongrass (white part only, sliced thinly)
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp oyster sauce
1 Tbsp dark soy sauce
2 Tbsp tapioca flour or corn flour
5 sprigs curry leaves
2 lemongrass stalks, bruised
2 red chillies, deseeded
150 ml water
Sugar and salt to taste
- Marinate the chicken chunks with Ingredients A in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Blend Ingredients B until you get a fine paste. Set the paste aside.
- Heat a wok with cooking oil. Sprinkle tapioca flour (or corn flour) onto the marinated chicken and stir to coat. Deep fry the chicken until it turns golden brown. Alternatively, you can use an air-fryer by air-frying the chicken at 180°C for 18-20 minutes. Set the chicken aside.
- Heat a wok with 3 tbsp of cooking oil. Add the blended ingredients from Step 2 and stir over low heat for about 5 minutes until the mixture becomes aromatic. Then, add the curry leaves and bruised lemongrass, and continue stirring for a few more minutes. Pour in the water, mix well, and bring it to a boil.
- Add the fried chicken chunks to the wok and stir to coat them evenly. Cook for an additional 3 minutes, then turn off the heat.
- Serve the Spicy Soy Sauce Chicken with hot white rice and enjoy!
Note: Adjust the amount of bird’s eye chillies according to your desired level of spiciness. Also, feel free to adjust the sugar and salt to suit your taste preferences.
This is a Halal recipe