An Indonesian construction worker succumbed to injuries when he was hit by collapsing wall rubble at a house in Taman Silibin Indah during the evening yesterday on June 2.
It happened approximately an hour after the State Executive Councillor for Infrastructure, Energy, Water and Public Transportation, Dato’ Zolkafly Harun came to monitor the area impacted by the landslide.
The unfortunate victim, 40-year-old Junaidy Razak was confirmed dead by health staff in charge at the location.
It was made known that Junaidy was performing cleaning works at the said house which was affected by landslides recently.
According to the Perak Fire and Rescue Department (JBPM) director, Azmi Osman, they received a call regarding the incident at 5.14 pm.
“When we arrived at the location with fellow staff from Meru Raya Fire and Rescue Station, the victim was lying lifeless under rubble that impacted his head and upper body at the house’s kitchen section,” he told reporters. “Structure of the kitchen section was severed by the previous landslide. The said victim was cleaning the section when the walls collapsed and rubble fatally hit him.”
The house owner, Moses James, 59, stated that he was having an evening tea with fellow workers at the house.
“We were chit-chatting when a loud sound was heard,” he said. “I rushed to the kitchen section and saw that the walls had collapsed and Junaidy was already lying under the rubbles.
“We asked for help to get him out before calling the rescue team,” Moses mentioned, citing that the victim started cleaning the house three days ago.
In a related development, a budget to assist in the landslide incident that impacted eight rows of houses in the residential area is to be allocated by the state government, which Zolkafly posited will be further discussed in the state Exco meeting today.
“The Kinta Land and District Office requested an allocation for the state government to restructure the land in Taman Silibin Indah,” he explained.
The media previously reported that around 50 residents from eight families living in the area requested relevant authorities to solve landslide problems that had occurred at the back of their houses since three weeks ago.