Although it’s no more MCO and many of us are more or less back to our previous routines, we are still highly encouraged to stay home when we can. This recipe is perfect for the home cooks who would like to try something new for the weekend!
Rice Cooker Salted Egg Yolk Char Siew
by Margarita Lee
- 450g Pork belly
- 6 Steamed salted egg yolk
- 1 tbsp Hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp Oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp Soya bean paste
- 2 tsp Sesame oil
- 1 tbsp Rose wine or Rice wine
- 1 tsp Mince garlic
- 1 tbsp Maltose or Honey
- 1 tbsp Sugar (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Five spice powder
- Cut the meat into pieces about 5cmx5cm. Rinse and drain.
- Make a hole in the centre of the pork belly just big enough to fit the salted egg yolks.
- Insert egg yolks in between pork belly one at a time.
- Secure both ends of the pork belly with toothpicks.
- Marinate pork belly with ingredients B for a minimum of 3 hours, preferably overnight in the fridge.
- Remove marinated pork belly from the fridge 30 minutes before cooking.
- Lay the pork belly in the rice cooker, the fat side down. Pour in the rest of the marinade sauce.
- Set the rice cooker to ‘cooking white rice’ mode and begin cooking.
- Flip the Char Siew after 10 minutes. Continue to cook in the rice cooker until the mode completes.
- Slice Char Siew and serve.
For extra caramelisation, put Char Siew on a grill for 5-10 minutes.