By Margarita Lee
40g glutinous rice flour
30g wheat starch (Chéng fěn)
30g rice flour
25g caster sugar
20g unsalted butter
Few drops of rose pink colouring
15g-20g glutinous rice flour (lightly toasted in a pan for 5 minutes)
250g cream cheese
20g caster sugar
1 tsp gelatin powder
1 Tbsp water
30g dried cranberries
- Dissolve gelatin in water and let it bloom for a few minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
- Add cranberries to the cream cheese mixture and combine.
- Microwave the bloomed gelatin for 10 seconds and gently incorporate it into the cream cheese mixture (avoid over-mixing).
- Divide the cheese and cranberry mixture into 11 portions using an ice cream scoop. Shape each portion into a round ball using cling wrap.
- Keep the cheese balls in the refrigerator for minimum 1 hour .
- Mix all Ingredients A (except butter) in a mixing bowl. Strain the mixture through a sieve and pour it into a shallow dish.
- Cover the dish with cling wrap and steam over high heat for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add butter, mixing the dough with a dough scraper. Allow it to cool. Transfer the dough to a board, add in the food colouring and knead by hand until smooth. Divide the mixture into 10 portions (25g each) and keep refrigerated.
- Remove the dough balls from the fridge and place one between 2 sheets of non-stick baking paper. Press to flatten the dough ball and roll it out thinly into a flat circle.
- Wrap the flattened dough around the filling and shape it into a ball. Ensure that there are no exposed parts. (Repeat for all balls.)
- Dust the mooncake mould with prepared dusting powder
- Shake off excess flour and place the filled ball into mooncake mould, press to print the pattern. Repeat this step for all.
- Store the mooncakes in an airtight container, with a kitchen paper-towel on top to prevent any condensation on the moon cake surface.
- Refrigerate for 3-4 hours before serving .
* This mooncake recipe is a healthier and non-traditional version.
* With a 50g mould, the recipe yields 11 mooncakes.