Crispy Wasabi Prawn
By Margarita Lee
- 250g Medium-sized prawn
- 5 tbsp Tropical flour / Potato flour
- Oil for deep-frying
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1 Egg white
- 3 -4 tbsp Kewpie mayonnaise
- 2 -3 tsp Wasabi paste
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Flying fish roe (ebiko)
- De-shell and devein the prawns. Wash the prawns, drain and pat dry. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Mix all the marinade ingredients. Marinate the prawns in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Remove the prawns from the fridge just before deep-frying. Pour the potato/tapioca flour into a separate dish, then dredge the marinated prawn in the flour. Make sure that each prawn is well and evenly coated.
- Heat the wok with enough oil to cover the prawns, over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the prawns one at a time, making sure that they don’t stick together.
- Deep fry for 2 minutes on each side of the prawn until golden, then place on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients for the dressing and stir well. Toss the fried prawns whilst hot. Gently mix well, ensuring that every prawn is evenly coated with the wasabi dressing. Garnish with fish roe.
To substitute wasabi paste with wasabi powder, mix the powder with water until it forms a paste.
Check out more of Margarita’s recipes on her FB @ Umummy Food